SGMP offers its membership numerous opportunities through:
- Encouraging and improving communication, understanding, and cooperation between planners and suppliers through regular meetings, discussions and conferences;
- Expanding the knowledge and abilities of planners and suppliers by conducting formal education programs;
- Aiding planners in locating and evaluating commercial meeting facilities and support services by operating a communications link;
- Researching, analyzing and translating regulatory policies and legislative issues which affect governmental meetings;
- Promoting an understanding in decision-making areas that directly or indirectly impact the scope of operations of the planner;
- Maintaining liaison activities with other professional meeting planner and supplier groups; and,
- Providing guidance and advice to planners on all phases of planning, executing, and evaluating government meetings.
National education conferences and regional education conferences are held annually. SGMP educational programs at both the annual conferences and regular local meetings, instruct on how to produce effective agency meetings that are conducted within budget allocations and per diem allowances. Valuable tools that help sharpen planning skills are shared so that public funds are spent economically and in a manner that produces results.
Each member of the Society is presented with a comprehensive membership directory upon admission to SGMP. Each year a directory is printed and forwarded to members in good standing.
SGMP's magazine Government Meetings Advantage presents information about government contracting, travel regulations, and timely articles about the meetings industry. It is published quarterly. The Texas Lone Star Capital Chapter publishes a comprehensive chapter newsletter on a quarterly basis.
Scholarships are awarded to members to attend both the SGMP National and Regional Education Conferences. Money is awarded based on a point system. Below is a list of ways to earn points and become more involved in your SGMP chapter:
- Chapter membership
- Board Membership
- Committee Chair
- Speaker at a Monthly Meeting
- Staffing Monthly Registration Table
- Chapter Committee Member
- National Committee Participation
- Attending a SGMP National Meeting
- Attending South East Regional Education Conference
- Sponsor a Meeting Location
- Provide Refreshments for a meeting
- Donate items to the Silent Auction
- Donate items to be given away at monthly meetings